Monday, April 22, 2013

Motivations Behind Choosing Enterprise Java

Hello there!

Actually, this is not going to be reasons appreciated or accepted by all. It's just the reasons I've decided to give Java Enterprise 6 a go. At least before Ruby On Rails or Django.

1. Since the early days of my programming, I've been using Java SE, C/C++ or PHP. The syntactical structure are somewhat same in these languages. Brackets, semi-colons are must and these sort of things. That's why it seemed somewhat awkward to me when I saw the syntax of python or ruby. I thought to myself, 'How the hell these people manage to maintain OOP!'. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough. But still, why won't you say the type of a variable while you are declaring it! One or two words too much for you? :)

2. If I make a mistake in my code, I like it better appear at compile time. So, Java got my preference over ruby or python.

3. I found a ocean of Q/A or comparison posts in the internet about the productivity issue of JavaEE 6 and ruby or python. Both have some valid grounds of argument. The bottom line of these posts was this:' Java EE is for very big enterprise applications where security, scalability, maintainability are deciding factors. Frameworks like Ruby on Rails or Django are for startups, where quick output counts." My philosophy is, If you know how to build a Titanic, then you can quickly build one or two ships by applying some new tricks.

4. Productivity is an issue in enterprise java. All those compilation, deployment and then seeing the output takes a large amount of time. Though JRebel and Play framework are trying to minimize this, it's still a lot. However, as I said earlier, first I need to learn how to build a Titanic. So I'm not taking it as a factor right now.

5. Finally, I just want to harness the monstrous power of astronomically big Java EE 6 and feel myself stronger. :)

So, plain and simple, not (Rails, Django, JRebel, Play,  Spring), just Java Enterprise Edition 6.

I will get them later, after I acquire some destructive power from Java EE 6. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment